International Congress “Aristotle and Contemporary Physics". Celebrating the 60th Anniversary of CERN. Co-Organizers: CERN & Interdisciplinary Centre for Aristotle Studies, AUTH. October 30-31, 2014. Aristotle University of Thessaloniki.
The European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN) and the Interdisciplinary Centre for Aristotle Studies (DI.K.A.M.) of Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (A.U.TH.) are co-organizing an International Conference titled “Aristotle and Contemporary Physics. Celebrating the 60th Anniversary of CERN.” The Conference will take place on October 30-31, 2014, at Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (KEDEA Building). It will include talks both by physicists and by philosophers with the purpose of presenting CERN's work, the new developments in Physics of Elementary Particles, as well as of shedding light on their conceptual relationship to some important aspects of Aristotle’s philosophy of nature.
Invited Speakers are the following:
- ANTONIADIS, IGNATIOS (Physicist, Albert Einstein Institute, University of Bern, Switzerland & École Polytechnique, Paris, France)
- ANTONIOU, IOANNIS (Professor of Mathematics, A.U.TH.)
- BERTOLUCCI, SERGIO (Physicist, Director of Research and Scientific Computing, CERN)
- COULOUBARITSIS, LAMBROS (Professor Emeritus of Philosophy, Université Libre de Bruxelles, ULB & Member of the Royal Academy of Belgium)
- GÓMEZ PIN, VÍCTOR (Professor of Philosophy, Universidad Autónoma de Barcelona)
- LIGOMENIDES PANOS, (Distinguished Professor Emeritus at the University of Maryland, U.S.A. & Member of the Academy of Athens)
- SEIRADAKIS, JOHN (Professor of Astrophysics, A.U.TH.)
- SFENDONI-MENTZOU, DEMETRA (Professor Emerita of Philosophy of Science, A.U.TH.)
- TSESMELIS, EMMANUEL (Senior Physicist, CERN & Visiting Professor at the University of Oxford)